Saturday 9 February 2013

Polio Touched My Life

How did it started?

My life started in the town of Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte in southern part of the island of Mindanao, Philippines. I was 8 months old and almost able to walk on my own, when I became so ill that my parents and doctor struggled to keep me alive. Somehow the doctor got my fever down but then most part of my body was already paralyzed. My devastated parents could not believe that their healthy first born was now immobile from the neck down.

How did I survive?

The virus poliomyelitis was a worldwide epidemic in the 1940's to the 1960's. Polio was also named as an infantile paralysis. This was what happened to me. 

Early morning, most days, my mother would take me to a sandy beach, find a good spot where the sand is warm and bury my body up to the neck believing that the morning sun rays and heat from the sand will awaken weak nerve endings and will make my limbs and arms move again. Along with water therapy and regular massage, my mother's patience, sacrifices and hard work paid off when slowly I was able to move my arms then my right leg. Still the effect of polio did not totally leave my body because my left leg remained so weak, small and deformed.

At that time, there was limited resources and information for parents who were looking for answers to their questions about the disease and how to manage and move on from the effects of polio. Even leading nations like the United States of America and Canada were still on the process of understanding polio and how to fight against this fearsome virus. Third world countries like the Philippines, were doubly challenged on how to deal and treat those that were affected. 

How was I able to walk and be part of the mainstream?
My Papa and Mama had to
carry me before I had my
leg operation as I was
not able to walk yet

At the age of 5 years old, I underwent a major operation at the Cebu Doctor's Hospital. There were two incisions  - one in my left  hip and then in my left knee, both to straighten my left leg so that I can wear a brace. In the early years, my brace was from the hip down to my entire left leg. When the doctor observed that my hip had improved, the brace was adjusted so that it is now from the thigh down to my ankle attached to an orthopedic shoe.

How are Polio survivors now?

People who had polio are living in  different areas of the world. I have migrated to Canada almost 8 years ago. The challenge or ease of living with polio differs for each survivor, depending on the availability of medical care and rehabilitation opportunities; and their family, community and government support.

These days, a lot of information and resources for polio survivors can be access from the internet, books and medical researches and even local and international disability groups. Leading organizations like the Post-Polio Canada that works with peer support groups nationwide to connect polio survivors; and the Post-Polio Health International in the USA dedicate their mission on making polio survivors lives easier and better.







2 comments:

  1. My blog about my journey in life as a person with disability... this is my first post

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the story so much hon, keep up a good work!

    ReplyDelete