Tuesday 26 February 2013

I wanna be ?? when I grow up...


So what you gonna be when you grow up? My father asked me this question when I was still a little girl. In answer to him, I hummed the tune of  "Que Sera, Sera",  What ever will be,  will be". This song was in my head even at that early age.

What I actually wanted was to have a title besides my name. I remember  there were moments that I tried to imagine being a Doctor or a Lawyer.  Then reality came crushing, a doctor?? No, that's not gonna happen ..  too expensive ,  Mama and Papa  can’t afford it besides, my head said, a disabled person could not be a doctor. OK, so how about a lawyer???  Hmm… still expensive and requires lots of years in school.

Diploma in Civil Engineering
Technology
I got an Aha!!! moment when I received the letter that I was accepted in the Engineering Technology Department in one of the good schools in Mindanao, Philippines. It was clear then, I want to be an Engineer. Money was a constraint, so I had to take the Diploma of Civil Engineering Technology first because I didn't have to pay tuition fee plus I received a monthly allowance from the school for the entire duration of this 3-year program.

Getting to the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering degree was harder than ever financially, because by then my father was already dead due to politics and unrest in the area, where he was farming. It was only my mother who struggled and solely paid for mine and my two siblings' education. But hard work and commitment to my studies finally brought me the title I dreamed for. In 1992, I received my license as a full-pledged Civil Engineer.

During the Oath Taking
Ceremony
In the Philippines, you are fortunate if you get a job that is inline with your education. As for me, it was not part of my plan to work in construction sites - I had bad experience of tripping and stumbling at job site during practicum classes. My plan was to work in an office like those that designed and planned structures or in an office that evaluate plans and designs of structures. I did not achieved this plan  right away. I had  two non-engineering jobs before I finally got the position as a Building Inspector in the Office of the City Building Official in our place.

I was also actively involved in our local disabled organization. The group wanted someone from the disabled sector to be employed in the Building Office,  to monitor and implement the Accessibility Law. This led to my designation as the Accessibility Officer of the Office of the City Building Official, year 1998-2005.

Job Description
Now that I'm living here in Canada,  my  title as an "Engineer" is not recognized anymore. I have to go back to school and take the exam to become a Professional Engineer here. But it was my Engineering degree and work that got me and my family to be accepted as skilled worker immigrant. It also helped me got the job that I have now. 

Through this all, It was the hard work and sacrifices of my parents, specially my Mama who helped and guide me to achieve my plans and dreams. For that, I am thankful to the Lord, my God.

7 comments:

  1. This happens all too often in Canada. Many people who come from a different country and have had a regarded degrees come to Canada and the not recognize anymore.

    It really annoys me when this happens because people work so hard to get the degrees they have yet when they come here it means nothing.

    I know Canada is working to try and fix the situation, but it doesn't seem like they're doing enough these days.

    The government was driven home the other day by the taxi driver who was a doctor in his own country. Where is the logic in that?

    I sympathize with you and I hope situation gets better for you.

    Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few years ago, I attended meetings and seminars hosted by an NGO funded by the government to help foreign-trained professionals and I was amazed that there are many that took survival jobs to make ends meet; which is hard to get out specially if the person has a family to feed not to mention the difficulty in speaking the English language.

      The other piece of the puzzle is how to get the experience in that particular field.

      New comers who came here as students have more opportunities and better chances of succeeding.

      Delete
  2. I love your story, I think it really tells about who you are and where you came from. Might I suggest you continue to blog as you get your Professional Engineer certification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robert,

    Thank you for the comment. I already decided not to pursue getting the P. Eng. certification, and I'm at peace with my decision. People changed, as well as priorities. That is me in a capsule. It does not mean I have given up, to me, it means that my passion is shifted to what I consider important these days - my family (husband and two kids), my work, and others

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariflor you are the best example of DETERMINATION. Keep it up. I know a couple of people here in Australia with same degree problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring story, thanks for sharing. I have actually been to Mindanoa! Near Malaybalay City. Beautiful Island.

    ReplyDelete